Skip to main content

the first 25: wouldn't take nothing for my journey now


25 years ago at exactly 9:48 AM, I entered the universe. My mother was a strong, self-assured 19 year old woman, but I'm sure she was afraid, as I was her first born. I could not have been born to a better mother. Later becoming the mother of four, mom was the provider, spiritual guide, and teacher. Her life was the greatest self-help book. She taught us to be good stewards of what God blessed us with and to be kind to each other. She taught us to trust God and to work hard. However, her greatest lesson came with her diagnosis of breast cancer. From this final chapter of her life I learned how to be grateful and even more importantly, how to have unyielding faith. This faith will forever be the guiding light of my life. Although we only spent 14 years together, my life is forever blessed by God's decision to welcome me into the world through her loving womb.

So the first 25 years are history. I have spent much of them learning about myself through introspection, contemplation, and meditation. I've learned the power of thoughts and how to live with joy and a sense of purpose. The 11 Spiritual Truths that I shared yesterday are some of the great truths that govern my life. I know that I am nothing without God, but with him, I am everything.

I just want to focus on one thing today though, and if you forget everything else I've written herein this blog, please remember this. Love is all there is. I'm not talking about romantic love or sentimentality. I'm talking about the love that set the sun and the stars and the moon in the sky. The love that beats our hearts and causes our lungs to expand and contract with air. I'm talking about the love that is present at the bottom of the deepest ocean and also at the tallest of mountains. The love that causes the joining of the sperm and egg in the female body and create the miracle that is you and me. It is because of this love that we exist— as well as everything else in the universe, known and unknown.

Everything we do as human beings is aimed at trying to reconnect with this love. It is our pain that keeps us from it. It is our thoughts that keeps us from it. When you learn to deal with these two things, you will know love and it will change your life. Nothing will ever matter because you know that you are loved and you are love. The great responsibility of each of our lives is to love. That's it. So go with love and everything else will unfold.

Love is all there is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

your life is sacred: honoring every moment

on this day, exactly eleven years ago today, my mother entered the Baptist for her second mastectomy. the cancer was vicious, relentless, and evidently insatiably hungry for the life of my mother. She had already had the other breast removed and she went into this surgery confident that it would be best.  i remember her strength and her faith most vividly during this week. i also remember her strongly rejecting my request for funds to purchase a new shirt for the pastor's appreciation that was coming up that Friday. i'm not sure if my mother knew this was her last week on earth. there were no "final conversations" or any discussion of what was next for our lives without her.  she would leave behind her four children, her dreams, and ultimately, a life well-lived that same night of the pastor's appreciation, which also happened to be All Saints Day. my mother's life, her struggle with breast cancer, and her early demise at thirty-three helps def...

summer GROWTH

       you know growing up, one of the things i always looked forward to was the summertime. not only because of the time out of school, but because i thought summer was a time to grow -- physically. in the fall, I would be amazed at how much taller my peers had grown. Apparently, the summer wasn't as giving to me.       nowadays, i still think of the summer as a time of growth but on a whole other level... mentally. every summer, i set a goal to read at least 100 books (don't ask me if they all get read), i watch documentaries and do other mind stimulating activities. however, i still give myself all of the rest and relaxation I need.      one thing i am certain of is this, you may not be able to control your physical growth, but you can control growth in other areas of your life. mental, spiritual, and financial growth, to name a few, also takes time, but they depend solely on you. where ar...

words from the wise...

“I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you, when a larger society sees them as unattractive, a...