Skip to main content

on prayer and mindfulness


A Love Supreme 


For the month of June, Spiritual Anthropology will focus on the power of prayer and mindfulness. I believe these two tools are inseparably indispensable and when used accordingly, they allow you to experience the fullness of miracles. Christ taught his disciples to pray what we call "The Lord's Prayer": 

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And do not lead is into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. 
 - Matthew 6:9-13 (NKJV)

What a beautiful and powerful prayer, especially the "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" sentiment. 

What happens when we pray? What is the direct purpose of prayer? Does praying really work? These are just some of the questions I want to explore within this month. 

Moreover, in regards to mindfulness, we'll explore such questions as what is it? Do you have to meditate in order to be mindful? What is meditation exactly? Does meditating make me a Buddhist?

On Fridays, I'll post a prayer by spiritual teacher and author Marianne Williamson from her latest book, The Law of Divine Compensation. These prayers are transcendent. I trust that you'll find exquisite solace and clarity in them. 

We want to hear from you, too. Tell us how prayer has made a difference in your life by emailing us at spiritualanthropology@gmail.com or by writing on our Facebook page, facebook.com/spiritualanthropology. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

your life is sacred: honoring every moment

on this day, exactly eleven years ago today, my mother entered the Baptist for her second mastectomy. the cancer was vicious, relentless, and evidently insatiably hungry for the life of my mother. She had already had the other breast removed and she went into this surgery confident that it would be best.  i remember her strength and her faith most vividly during this week. i also remember her strongly rejecting my request for funds to purchase a new shirt for the pastor's appreciation that was coming up that Friday. i'm not sure if my mother knew this was her last week on earth. there were no "final conversations" or any discussion of what was next for our lives without her.  she would leave behind her four children, her dreams, and ultimately, a life well-lived that same night of the pastor's appreciation, which also happened to be All Saints Day. my mother's life, her struggle with breast cancer, and her early demise at thirty-three helps def...

summer GROWTH

       you know growing up, one of the things i always looked forward to was the summertime. not only because of the time out of school, but because i thought summer was a time to grow -- physically. in the fall, I would be amazed at how much taller my peers had grown. Apparently, the summer wasn't as giving to me.       nowadays, i still think of the summer as a time of growth but on a whole other level... mentally. every summer, i set a goal to read at least 100 books (don't ask me if they all get read), i watch documentaries and do other mind stimulating activities. however, i still give myself all of the rest and relaxation I need.      one thing i am certain of is this, you may not be able to control your physical growth, but you can control growth in other areas of your life. mental, spiritual, and financial growth, to name a few, also takes time, but they depend solely on you. where ar...

words from the wise...

“I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you, when a larger society sees them as unattractive, a...