Skip to main content

losing sight. gaining insight.



SO, it's been almost three whole weeks since I've posted here in Spiritual Anthropology. Not only because I felt that I had nothing to share, but because I know the hardest lessons require the greatest attention. I had completely lost sight of my core self. My job had me completely disgruntled with my life and I didn't like the person i was becoming — someone who was angry and feeling purposeless. I was feeling stuck and uninspired, burdened by circumstance and rapidly losing my joy. It was time for a serious reevaluation.

This is why it is important to get to know yourself on a deep, meaningful level. When you are armed with that self-knowledge, you are able to gauge your life with a level of knowingness that is unparalleled in it's truth and scope. So often we accept unhappiness as a part of life. We make peace with our depression and tell ourselves to "get over it" without ever dealing with the root of the problem.

The truth that I am in the thick of learning is that the greatest lessons can come when you lose sight of who you are and what you truly want. This puts you in a position of power to find your way back home and redesign your life in accordance to your highest hopes and aspirations. Insights abound if you are willing to pay close attention to your thoughts and feelings, but most importantly, your joy.

I knew I had to get back to Jehrod. And to Spiritual Anthropology. With the gentle nudging of a dear friend this morning, I was compelled to share this with my SA readers today. Please know that your challenges are calling you to action. Sometimes that action can be as simple as taking a few deep breaths. Sometimes it can be as complicated as making the changes you know you need to make in your life.

Beloved, You were meant to experience a full and beautiful life. Please accept nothing less.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

your life is sacred: honoring every moment

on this day, exactly eleven years ago today, my mother entered the Baptist for her second mastectomy. the cancer was vicious, relentless, and evidently insatiably hungry for the life of my mother. She had already had the other breast removed and she went into this surgery confident that it would be best.  i remember her strength and her faith most vividly during this week. i also remember her strongly rejecting my request for funds to purchase a new shirt for the pastor's appreciation that was coming up that Friday. i'm not sure if my mother knew this was her last week on earth. there were no "final conversations" or any discussion of what was next for our lives without her.  she would leave behind her four children, her dreams, and ultimately, a life well-lived that same night of the pastor's appreciation, which also happened to be All Saints Day. my mother's life, her struggle with breast cancer, and her early demise at thirty-three helps def...

summer GROWTH

       you know growing up, one of the things i always looked forward to was the summertime. not only because of the time out of school, but because i thought summer was a time to grow -- physically. in the fall, I would be amazed at how much taller my peers had grown. Apparently, the summer wasn't as giving to me.       nowadays, i still think of the summer as a time of growth but on a whole other level... mentally. every summer, i set a goal to read at least 100 books (don't ask me if they all get read), i watch documentaries and do other mind stimulating activities. however, i still give myself all of the rest and relaxation I need.      one thing i am certain of is this, you may not be able to control your physical growth, but you can control growth in other areas of your life. mental, spiritual, and financial growth, to name a few, also takes time, but they depend solely on you. where ar...

words from the wise...

“I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you, when a larger society sees them as unattractive, a...