Skip to main content

the best advice comes from deep within

I wrote this note a few years ago to a young lady I've known for quite some time. It was only recently that I stumbled upon it in my Facebook inbox. It inspired me, so I decided to share it with my Spiritual Anthropology readers.


Hello my sister. First of all, know that the best is already inside of you. When God created you, he made sure that you had everything you needed to thrive in life. You first have to make a sincere decision that you want to be the best you can be. After making that decision, imagine yourself at your best...how do you perform at school? How do you treat your body (what type of foods do your best self eat)? What type of sister, daughter, and friend are you? How is your spirituality (your connection with God)? Remember, we're not talking about how you are now, but how you hope to be. That is the first step and I know its a lot to digest. 

The truth is there we always be moments when we doubt ourselves and our potential. However, we must have faith in our ability to improve. It's a journey, and if you are truly ready to display to the world who you truly are, I'm willing to offer advise. Now, I must admit that I'm on this journey too and do not have all the answers. In fact, a lot of the answers that come to you will come from your own wisdom. That's the truth. 

You don't have to trust everybody, but you do have to trust yourself. You are great and destined to be successful. However, its hard work and self work; part of which consists of getting a journal and beginning to write your thoughts and feelings down honestly each night. This is one of the greatest self-building tools avaliable. 

I love you and am here for you. Say this prayer with me...God, first of all thank you for giving me life. I haven't been living up to my fullest potential in the past. However, I am truly ready to change. Lead me. Guide me to that place of excellence. When I am weak, make me strong in my faith. I can improve with your help. I can improve with your love. I will improve in the name of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen. 

Until Next Time, 
jehrod alain

DIG DEEP ACTIVITY: Write a letter to your younger, most vulnerable self giving advice from your own wisdom. If you care to share, email them to us at spiritualanthropology@gmail.com. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

your life is sacred: honoring every moment

on this day, exactly eleven years ago today, my mother entered the Baptist for her second mastectomy. the cancer was vicious, relentless, and evidently insatiably hungry for the life of my mother. She had already had the other breast removed and she went into this surgery confident that it would be best.  i remember her strength and her faith most vividly during this week. i also remember her strongly rejecting my request for funds to purchase a new shirt for the pastor's appreciation that was coming up that Friday. i'm not sure if my mother knew this was her last week on earth. there were no "final conversations" or any discussion of what was next for our lives without her.  she would leave behind her four children, her dreams, and ultimately, a life well-lived that same night of the pastor's appreciation, which also happened to be All Saints Day. my mother's life, her struggle with breast cancer, and her early demise at thirty-three helps def...

summer GROWTH

       you know growing up, one of the things i always looked forward to was the summertime. not only because of the time out of school, but because i thought summer was a time to grow -- physically. in the fall, I would be amazed at how much taller my peers had grown. Apparently, the summer wasn't as giving to me.       nowadays, i still think of the summer as a time of growth but on a whole other level... mentally. every summer, i set a goal to read at least 100 books (don't ask me if they all get read), i watch documentaries and do other mind stimulating activities. however, i still give myself all of the rest and relaxation I need.      one thing i am certain of is this, you may not be able to control your physical growth, but you can control growth in other areas of your life. mental, spiritual, and financial growth, to name a few, also takes time, but they depend solely on you. where ar...

words from the wise...

“I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you, when a larger society sees them as unattractive, a...