Skip to main content

year of becoming... continued.


At the beginning of this year, I asked my SA readers as i asked myself, how was I going to become more of myself this year? I called 2013 my "year of becoming". I was going to face my fears head on and do the things I've been wanting to do. I will update everyone on my progress soon, but today, I want to share the response of one of my favorite known readers, Chiquita Adams. She writes...


"In order to become this year, I'm gonna think of myself as a tree--a growing, producing tree... It may sound weird, but when a tree is planted, it has to first be rooted, firmly rooted; otherwise, it cannot grow..knowing first what a sturdy foundation is is so key..I must then allow the positive things in..allow them to water and feed and strengthen me..lastly, once a tree has reached the point where it can begin to produce, it is beginning to serve its purpose... I will, therefore, daily thrive to be as a growing tree."

I absolutely love the imagery Chiquita provided in her response. From seed to sapling, to full grown tree, trees provide the most beautiful example of growth. Their presence alone beacons us to stillness and the inner knowledge we all possess to better our lives.

Let us all aim to grow up and out and full like the lushest of trees. And as always, we will love to hear from you at SA. Please feel free to E-mail us at spiritualanthropology@gmail.com or share your thoughts in our comment sections.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

your life is sacred: honoring every moment

on this day, exactly eleven years ago today, my mother entered the Baptist for her second mastectomy. the cancer was vicious, relentless, and evidently insatiably hungry for the life of my mother. She had already had the other breast removed and she went into this surgery confident that it would be best.  i remember her strength and her faith most vividly during this week. i also remember her strongly rejecting my request for funds to purchase a new shirt for the pastor's appreciation that was coming up that Friday. i'm not sure if my mother knew this was her last week on earth. there were no "final conversations" or any discussion of what was next for our lives without her.  she would leave behind her four children, her dreams, and ultimately, a life well-lived that same night of the pastor's appreciation, which also happened to be All Saints Day. my mother's life, her struggle with breast cancer, and her early demise at thirty-three helps def...

summer GROWTH

       you know growing up, one of the things i always looked forward to was the summertime. not only because of the time out of school, but because i thought summer was a time to grow -- physically. in the fall, I would be amazed at how much taller my peers had grown. Apparently, the summer wasn't as giving to me.       nowadays, i still think of the summer as a time of growth but on a whole other level... mentally. every summer, i set a goal to read at least 100 books (don't ask me if they all get read), i watch documentaries and do other mind stimulating activities. however, i still give myself all of the rest and relaxation I need.      one thing i am certain of is this, you may not be able to control your physical growth, but you can control growth in other areas of your life. mental, spiritual, and financial growth, to name a few, also takes time, but they depend solely on you. where ar...

words from the wise...

“I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you, when a larger society sees them as unattractive, a...